I was invited to participate in a blogger recipe challenge sponsored by Simply Sesame. I was unfamiliar with the product, and definitely curious about it, so I happily accepted the challenge. A product of Bonelli Fine Food, Inc., Simply Sesame is described as a “non-GMO snack dip and spread.” According to information on the website, it’s all natural, with no preservatives or additives, gluten free, peanut free, vegan, has no trans-fats, and is low in calories, sugar, and sodium. Although it has roughly the same amount of calories as my favorite peanut butter, it has 25% less fat, half the carbohydrates, and about 60% less sodium.
The company sent me 3 jars to experiment with:
This stuff is fantastic! Its taste reminded me of something, which I finally figured out was halvah, a treat from my childhood. Unlike halvah though, which is dry and crumbly, Simply Sesame is velvety smooth, sweet, and luscious.
Simply Sesame might resemble peanut butter, but it is definitely not peanut butter! Like peanut butter, however, it is delicious all on its own, right out of the jar (don’t even try to pretend you don’t know what I’m talking about):
We all know you eat peanut butter out of the jar
You’ll be tempted to dish yourself up a spoonful:
Simply delicious all by itself
But eating Simply Sesame straight out of the jar isn’t really a recipe, and this was, after all, a recipe challenge. So I aimed to create a recipe that would showcase the wonderful taste of Simply Sesame, and I came up with an easy and delicious granola. This isn’t a clumpy, stuff-your-cheeks-like-a-chipmunk granola. Rather, this is a free-flowing granola, crunchy yet moist at the same time, and the Simply Sesame flavor shines through, It’s great out of hand or sprinkled on fruit and yogurt (or even ice cream).
I used the Vanilla with Almond Bits variety for this batch, but any of the flavors will work in this recipe.
|SIMPLY SESAME GRANOLA|| |
- 2 cups thick rolled oats
- ½ cup wheat germ
- ¼ cup sesame seeds
- ¼ cup sweetened shredded coconut
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅓ cup Simply Sesame Vanilla with Almond Bits
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together oats, wheat germ, sesame seeds, coconut, pecans, and salt.
- Place Simply Sesame Vanilla with Almond Bits, coconut oil, and brown sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until ingredients are melted and thoroughly combined, approximately 3-4 minutes. Pour over oat mixture, stirring until thoroughly combined, and transfer to a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Bake until golden brown, stirring occasionally, approximately 20 minutes (keep an eye on it after 15 minutes to make sure it doesn't burn). Allow to cool, then transfer to airtight container.
You can order Simply Sesame through its website. Check the Simply Sesame website and social media platforms for more information and great recipes.