I found these cute little peppermint marshmallows at the grocery store last week:
I had a recipe for Peppermint Popcorn Bark that I had been wanting to try, and these seemed like they would be a fun addition. The end result was a pepperminty, pretty-in-pink holiday treat, that, like Jiffy Pop, was as much fun to make as it was to eat. (Well, sort of.)
A few tips –
1. For best results, don’t use microwave popcorn. Make 2 batches of popcorn — for each pop 1/2 cup of popcorn kernels in 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, following package directions.
2. I used 11 6″ candy canes. To crush them, put them in a large ziploc bag, place on a towel, and crush with a mallet or rolling pin.
3. Look for peppermint oil–not peppermint extract–in the baking aisle. Extract will cause the almond bark to seize up, and it will get clumpy and not look very nice. The peppermint oil won’t do that, and the melted almond bark will be smooth and creamy, easier to work with, and look prettier.
|PEPPERMINT POPCORN MARSHMALLOW BARK||
- 16 cups popped popcorn
- 1 pound almond bark or white chocolate chips
- 6 ounces candy canes, finely crushed
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint oil
- 2 cups peppermint mini marshmallows
- ¾ cup semisweet or dark chocolate chips
- Place popcorn in a large mixing bowl. Place almond bark or white chocolate chips in a medium bowl and melt in microwave, heating in 30-second intervals and stirring until smooth. Stir in peppermint oil, and pour over popcorn. Add crushed candy canes and marshmallows, and stir until popcorn is evenly coated. Spread popcorn out on 2 large baking sheets.
- Place chocolate chips in a small bowl and melt in microwave, heating in 30-second intervals and stirring until smooth. Using a spoon, drizzle melted chocolate over popcorn. Let sit until chocolate and almond bark have hardened (if possible, place in refrigerator for 10-15 minutes to speed this step up). When the chocolate and almond bark have hardened, break up popcorn into chunks.
Waiting for its chocolate drizzle
Now it’s ready!
All dressed up with some place to go