Even if you’re not a baker or don’t have time to bake, you can still whip up a holiday candy in no time. One of my favorite holiday confections is Haystacks, which were introduced to me by my friend Patricia. I remember her bringing them over one Christmas many moons ago, and I also remember how we wanted to go knock on her door. empty plate in hand, and say “More please.” The recipe is easy, and consists of butterscotch chips, peanut butter, and potato sticks, which combine for an addictive salty sweet crunchy confection. Her sister came up with the genius idea of decorating them with a few Red Hots or Cinnamon Imperials, which combine in the strangest way to create a really fun holiday treat. Trust me on this one.
But before I get to the recipe, I also want to share a couple of other quick, easy confections from a few of my blogging friends (all of whom are award-winning home cooks) that will make your friends think you are a descendant of Willie Wonka:
Now that I’ve primed the pump, here’s the recipe for Haystacks. Enjoy!
- 11-ounce package (1-2/3 cups) butterscotch chips
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter
- 9-ounce can shoestring potato sticks
- Red Hots or Cinnamon Imperials, for optional garnish
- Place butterscotch chips in a medium saucepan over low heat. Stir until melted and smooth. Stir in peanut butter until completely blended and smooth. Add potato sticks and stir until coated. Drop mixture by rounded tablespoonfuls onto a waxed paper-lined baking sheet. Garnish with Red Hots as desired. Refrigerate until firm. Makes approximately 2 dozen.
Your friends will be asking for “More please”