While grocery shopping over the Memorial Day weekend, these patriotic-looking Pop-Tarts caught my eye:
But as I moved in for a closer look, I couldn’t help but think “WTF?” I think the idea of a “different team on every Pop-Tart toaster pastry” is kinda clever:
But here’s where they lost me:
“Collect all 30 teams?” In my estate sale adventures, I have seen all kinds of bizarre collections (like dismembered mannequins, for example). But who in their right mind is going to collect toaster pastries? I don’t even know how you would collect toaster pastries? Do you display them on little acrylic stands with a dozen roach traps around them? Encase them in lucite? Take pictures of the toaster pastries and hang them on your wall? Help me out here — how do you collect Pop-Tarts? Why would you collect Pop-Tarts?
Yep, sometimes you just have to shake your head and say “WTF?” And on this particular day, WTF means Watermelon, Tomato, and Feta Salad. At this point, I’m guessing most of you have heard of, if not tried, a watermelon salad of some sort. This one, with tomato slices alternated with watermelon slices, sprinkled with feta, and drizzled with a sherry vinaigrette, is a light, refreshing, and easy summer salad. And besides, it’s fun to tell folks you made a WTF Salad. 😉
|WTF SALAD|| |
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 or 5 firm ripe tomatoes
- ¼ of a seedless watermelon
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives, for garnish
- Place the vinegar in a small bowl. Add the olive oil in a slow stream and whisk until emulsified. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside until ready to use.
- Slice the tomatoes and watermelon into ⅜-inch thick slices. Trim the watermelon slices to approximate the same round shape as the tomatoes. You'll need an equal number of tomato and watermelon slices. Arrange the tomato and watermelon slices on a serving platter, overlapping slices of tomato and watermelon. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Top with feta cheese. Just before serving, drizzle with dressing. Sprinkle with chives and serve.
Plated and ready to be dressed
For those WTF kinda days