I recently discovered Sweet Scarletts — sweet red grapefruit from the Rio Grande Valley.
These are the sweetest grapefruits I have ever tasted.
We’ve been enjoying them in salads, and thought I’d share one that was particularly nice. I started with beautiful baby lettuces from Sustainable Harvesters, which I bought at the Eastside Farmers Market. Next I added sliced red endive, grapefruit, and chopped pistachios. Finally, I drizzled a simple dressing over it made with olive oil and Peach Balsamic Vinegar from Texas Hill Country Olive Company (which I also bought at the farmers market). So pretty, and really great tasting.
|GRAPEFRUIT AND RED ENDIVE SALAD WITH BABY LETTUCES|| |
- 2 heads baby lettuces (a mix of red and green is pretty), chopped
- 1 head red endive, sliced
- 2 large red grapefruits, peel and pith removed, cut into sections (reserve 1 tablespoon juice for dressing)
- ¼ cup chopped pistachios
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-1/2 tablespoons peach balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon reserved grapefruit juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Divide lettuces among 2 salad plates. Scatter endive over lettuce. (Note: If you carefully slice the bottom of the endive and hold it together, you will have a rosette-like piece to place in the center of the salad). Arrange grapefruit sections over salad. Sprinkle pistachios over salad.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, peach balsamic vinegar, and grapefruit juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Drizzle dressing over salad and serve.
Slice the end of the endive carefully for a pretty endive rosette