Happy 4th of July! This week my inbox was flooded with recipes for foods in every shade of red, white, and blue, but one in particular caught my eye. It was a blueberry and strawberry rhubarb pie that resembled a flag. The recipe was from Tiny Pies in Austin. I haven’t previously been there, but you can bet I’ll be sure to stop in on my next visit to Austin!
I adapted the recipe only slightly, using all strawberries instead of a mix of strawberries and rhubarb, because I couldn’t find rhubarb anywhere. It was fun to make, easy as pie really. 🙂
|STARS AND STRIPES PIE|| |
- I package refrigerated pie crust (2 crusts)
- Blueberry filling:
- 1-1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Pinch of ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Strawberry filling:
- 4 cups strawberries, hulled and quartered
- Juice from ½ of an orange:
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- For blueberry filling: In a medium bowl, toss blueberries with lemon juice. In a small bowl, whisk together sugar, spices, and cornstarch. Add sugar mixture to blueberries and mix gently until thoroughly combined.
- For strawberry filling: In a medium bowl, combine strawberries and orange juice. In a small bowl, whisk together sugar, spices, and cornstarch. Add sugar mixture to strawberries and mix gently until thoroughly combined.
- Place one pie crust in a 9" pie pan. Add blueberry filling to left corner of pie, then add strawberry filling to remaining area. Cut stars out of half of the second pie crust using a small star cookie cutter, and cut free-hand wavy stripes out of the remaining pie crust. Place stars on top of blueberry filling, place stripes on top of strawberry filling.
- Bake until fruit is juicy and bubbling, and crust is light golden brown, about 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool, allowing fruit juices to thicken.
Stars and stripes
My lovely assistant
I also made some Rice Krispie Treats for the holiday:
See the red and blue cereal? That’s Fruity Pebbles. While I sat waiting for a batch of muffins the other morning, I sorted out blue and red ones for my special treats. Pretty sure I’m gonna want those 20 minutes back at the end of my life. Especially since my dog Jasper ate most of them off the counter when no one was looking. He apparently confused Rice Krispie Treats with Dog Treats. 🙂